• HOME
  • HISTORY
  • LOCATION
    • TEAMS
      • LSL
      • CCFL
      • KDUL
      • KDFL
  • RESULTS
  • FIXTURES
  • CONTACTS
  • CLUB NEWS
  • GALLERY
  • CLUB SHOP
  • CONTACT US
  • JUNIOR ACADEMY
  • ETFC ASTRO AVAILABLE FOR HIRE
  • ETFC 2024-2025 MEMBERSHIP

ANNUAL CLUB AWARDS
PLAY ETFC LOTTO
GARDA VETTING FORM
ETFC FACEBOOK
ETFC TWITTER
ETFC1926 INSTAGRAM
CHILD SAFEGUARDING STATEMENT
CLUB POLICIES
DEFIBRILATOR

  • OUR PARTNERS
No content at present
FOUNDED 1926 - OUR HISTORY
Home > History
boyimage.jpg
boyimage.jpg

A BRIEF HISTORY...

 

Formed in 1926 by the workers of Aylesbury’s Timber factory, one of whom Paddy Maloney was to become the mainstay of soccer in Edenderry.

The first 38 years was a struggle, with Paddy almost single handedly keeping the show going with great help from men such as Frank and George Slevin, Willie Donohue and Joe Bergin. In 1964 an Extra-Ordinary General Meeting was held in Nolan’s hall and a new Committee was formed with Joe Morgan as Chairman, John Reid as Secretary and Frank Clarke as Treasurer. Whilst things picked up at this stage the main problem still remained, a settled home pitch to play their matches. During the 1960′s, Edenderry Town played football in Pollards field, The Creamery and Fay’s field.

The major turning point in the club’s History came in 1971,when Paddy Maloney gathered a new look committee around him with Francie McGuinness as Secretary and Paud Maloney as Treasurer. They appointed Tony Maher as Player/ Manager and in their 1st season they won the Club’s first trophy, the Leinster Counties Cup in June 1972.
From that turning point the club has gone from strength to strength. Significantly in 1973 the club secured a long term lease on the old rugby grounds in Derrycoris. So after 47 years the club finally had a home, Fr Paul Park.

In 1982 the Club lost its Chairman when Frank Slevin died. Frank like Paddy Maloney had been a lifelong servant of Edenderry Town. Frank Slevin’s only wish was to see Schoolboys playing organised soccer in Edenderry. In 1983 a major development occurred when the club formed a Schoolboys section.
This decision has had a profound effect on the club ever since with a steady stream of talented players coming through from the schoolboy ranks to senior football. Today we have 16 boys and girls teams in action every week in the Kildare & District Underage League.
Another feature of the underage section is the Sunday Morning Junior Academy where boys and girls from 4 years of age are coached and play mini games all season round. 

The club moved to The Leinster Senior League in 1986 and bought 9.5 acres of land adjacent to their leased grounds at Fr Paul Park. Then in 1988 the club was rocked by the untimely death of its Chairman Joe Browne. Joe, as well as being Chairman, was also Club Physio with the 1st Team.

In 1992 the father figure of the club, Paddy Maloney, passed away. This was another blow for the club just as plans for a major development were taking place at what we now call, Paddy Maloney Park.
Paddy never saw the fruits of his plans for the complex that is there now. Edenderry Town’s 1st Team, 2nds & 3rds continue to play their football in the Leinster Senior League while our Youths play in the CCFL and our Ladies play in the KDFL.

whitebottomstrip.png
smallboyimage.png
  • HOME
  • |
  • LOCATION
  • |
  • TEAMS
  • |
  • RESULTS
  • |
  • CONTACTS
  • |
  • CLUB NEWS
  • |
  • GALLERY
  • |
  • CLUB SHOP
  • |
  • CONTACT US
Copyright Yourclub All Rights Reserved | PRIVACY POLICY | TERMS AND CONDITIONS | DELIVERY | RETURNS POLICY
Follow us on findericon.jpg twittericon.jpg